If you have read many of my blog posts you have probably realize that one of my favorite areas to visit in the DR is Las Terrenas. This morning (May 8, 2012) at about 5 am a fire was started that burned 16 of the restaurants and businesses in the area.
The fire was located in the area of Pueblo de los Pescadores which is off from the street Fransisco Alberto Caamano Deno which follows the coastline as you head north. So far there hasn’t been any reports of which businesses were affected. although the report mentioned discos, bars, restaurants, art galleries and other businesses.
Apparently the call to the Samana fire department went out a 5 in the morning and by 7 they still had not arrived at the scene. Not a big surprise considering the quality of most of the public services in the Dominican Republic. It is reported that Las Terrenas does has a fire truck but it is out of operation due to lack of maintenance.
There are reports that the government will help in the rebuilding of the area but it will likely take some time before there are any results to those talks.
In the mean time, if you had plans to visit Las Terrenas beside calling your motel to make sure it is still there, there is likely no reason to make any changes. Las Terrenas is spread pretty widely over the beach area and the majority of the businesses remain unaffected.
May 30 2012 Update
Here is the list of businesses that were affected by the fire. I have contact information for some of the businesses so you can call them if you have any questions about when they will be open again.
- ELOI MESTRE / LA PULPERIA – email@example.com 809-910-9001
- SERGIO / AGIA – www.gaiaclub.com 809-914-1023
- VERONICA / EL MOSQUITO – firstname.lastname@example.org 809/877/2844
- ERICH ESPINALEL PESCADOR – email@example.com 829-820-5687
- JOSE MARIA / SON LATINO BEACH – firstname.lastname@example.org 809-879-2135
- INDIGO / BAR RESTAURANTE – email@example.com 829-554-5110
- PIZZA PLAYA – 809-240-6399
- LA CUCA MARINA REST.
- LA SALSA REST.
- VERONICA EL SALERO – firstname.lastname@example.org 809-877-2844
- EL TORO DISCOTECA
- EL CAYUCO REST.
- LA TERRASSE REST.
- RESTAURANTE DE COMIDA MEXICO
- BANCA DE APUESTA
Our Thanks to Jeimmy Tifa of La Residencia Del Paseo for the update
Videos of Businesses affected by the fire