Since they are closer to the equator some countries have stronger ultraviolent (UV) radiation than others, like here in the Dominican Republic, which significantly increases the chance of sunburn and serious skin damage if you are repeatedly exposed to the sunlight here. To keep this from happening there are a few things that can be done, and kept in mind, regarding skincare.

Skincare Using Sunscreen

In order to get adequate protection from the sun’s ultraviolet rays you should use enough SPF 15, or higher, rated sunscreen to form a film on the area of skin that will be exposed to the sun. It is important to make sure to apply it 30 minutes before you go out into the sun so that there is time for your skin to absorb it. Also, sunscreen should be reapplied every 2-4 hours or after any activity that wears it off (like swimming, drying off with a towel, exercising, or perspiration) to avoid getting burnt and sun damaged skin. Daily sunscreen use effectively protects areas of the skin exposed to sunlight from getting burnt.
A cloudy Dominican day only filters out 20 percent of ultraviolet rays; leaving a remaining 80 percent that can cause a serious burn if no precautions are taken. So, if you are concerned with skincare, make sure to put sunscreen on even if you’re not going to be in direct sunlight.

Sun Tanning Tips

If you choose to lay on the beach and tan you should make sure to use a tanning lotion that has a broad spectrum nonacneginic element to keep your pores clean and prevent them from enlarging from sun exposure. In order to limit your UV exposure and risk of serious skin damage, avoid tanning from 11am-3pm. If you take any medications, make sure it doesn’t cause heightened sensitivity to the sun. And if you use moisturizing body lotion on your skin afterwards it will help your skin to retain its elasticity, keep your tan longer, and slow signs of sun damage and aging.

Skincare Treatment for Sunburns

Despite taking protective measures, at some point you will get sun burnt, but you want to avoid frequent sunburns. Otherwise, your skin will start to show signs of sun damage. The good news is that there are quite a few sun damage, and sunburn, remedies and treatments that you can use.

Aloe Vera, also called a “burn plant” according to my dictionary, is naturalized in many areas of the island and easy to find. Just cut open one of the leaves and put the natural salve directly onto the burn, or go to the nearest pharmacy and buy a bottled version that you can keep in the fridge and apply when needed.

There are a variety of herbal salves are other skincare products that can sooth a sunburn. They contain a variety of natural substances like hemp butter, macadamia nut oil, and an assortment of aromatic essential oils. They are effective, contribute to skin beauty, and smell good.

If you are particularly sensitive to getting burnt, you may want to take extra precautions. Sun protective swimwear, sun protection hats, and long sleeve loose clothing, are good options to use to unwanted skin damage.

What is Sun Damage?

Overexposure to the sun can make skin become dry, leathery, wrinkled, and show other signs of aging. Chronic exposure can even cause carcinoma, lymphoma, and melanoma skin cancer for those who have fairer skin and freckles, or a genetic pre-disposition.

Sun Damage Treatment Methods

There are many natural cosmetics, organic beauty products, natural body creams, facial treatments, and anti aging creams that help remove wrinkles and other signs of skin damage.

Skin peels are among the most effective facial treatments because they take away dead layers of skin, which makes your skin firmer and lessens the signs of wrinkles (like a nonsurgical facelift!).