According to Apple, for Claro the 4S iPhone will be locked to the carrier, have access to MMS and Claro hotspots in the Dominican Republic but will not offer authorized unlocking or visual voicemail. Orange includes the feature of having authorized unlocking but likewise will not offer the “Visual Voicemail” service.
Some of the more interesting features of the new iPhone 4S includes:
- Download speed of twice the rate of the standard iPhone 4. The 4S I capable of a 14.4Mbps download while the iPhone 4 is only capable of 7.2Mbps. Although this speed will likely not actually be available anywhere in the Dominican Republic.
- A dual core “A-5” chip. Twice as powerful as the iPhone 4 and up to 7x faster graphics makes for some awesome gaming and web browsing and even speeds up running iPhone apps. The more powerful A-5 chip is also one of Apples most power efficient chips which helps increase the battery life of the iPhone 4S.
- The Retina Display. IPhones sharpest, highest resolution phone yet. Sharp clear graphics, and pictures.
- FaceTime: Iphones version of Skype. Like Skype, FaceTime allows you to see a video image while talking with people. FaceTime can be used iPhone to iPhone, iPad 2, iPod touch, or Mac over Wi-Fi.
- High Definition (HD) video recording. The new iPhone 4S can shoot 1080p video with sound and video stabilization. You can even edit the video right on your iPhone.
- 8 Megapixel camera. More than twice the pixels that the standard iPhone 4 could shoot. Camera buffs will also appreciate the larger f/2.4 aperture that captures more of the available light. The new photo software on the iPhone 4S and improved backside illumination sensor, excellent auto white balance, advanced color accuracy, face detection, and reduced motion blur will help insure great pictures.
Apple announced that the new iPhone 4s is expected to hit the Dominican Republic market around January 13th of this year. Likely you will have to go to one of the major markets like Santiago of Santo Domingo to find one though. iPhone 4S comes in either black or white for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model, $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the new 64GB model. Each of these requiring a two year contract for this price.
Something to note though if you are using a limited data plan. Many of the new features on the iPhone 4S are data hogs, requiring constant updates over the internet. That means that you are likely to use at least twice as much data as you did with the iPhone4. This increase in data usage is due to the many new online services on the 4S including Siri and “iCloud”.