There are a lot of reasons to choose from to pack it up and move to a developing country like the Dominican Republic. Change of pace, climate, the beach, cost of living, or altruistic reasons like being a missionary, or need-greater. Regardless of which country you are moving from or whether you plan to stay months or years, you probably have a lot of questions.
What you will find here
Our site covers the topics you will need to know to live in the D.R. comfortably and how to have fun while you are here. Dr-DominicanRepublic.com documents the real life experiences of people that have moved here as well as up to date health and safety warnings, hurricane warning, and tips to stay safe while you are here. You will even find tips on renting a house, and buying real estate, cars, motorcycles and other property.
While you’re in the Caribbean you’re also going to want to check out the beaches, resorts and other attractions that can be found here. As our writers visit the various towns, all-inclusive resorts, beaches and local businesses we write about our experiences and prices to help you get the best price for the best vacations.
All articles and posts are written by people that actually live in the Dominican Republic and have experienced the problems and joys of living here.
Finding the information you want
No doubt you have particular questions you would like answered. Our main navigation (to the left) covers the Dominican Republic mostly by town, but often our “Most Popular Subjects” section will get you to the information you want the quickest.
Here is a short list from our Most Popular Subjects page to get you started.
- Culture – Get to know the people you will be living with. This is a good section to scan through to help you get along well with the locals as well as know what to watch out for.
- Internet – Yes, you can get internet here. These posts cover the most popular providers, which temporary or permanent plans are best and what other equipment you need. We also cover topics like Skype and MagicJack.
- Health – Living in a developing country has its health issues, dengue, cholera, parasites and amebas are all possible health threats here. Learn how to avoid health problems and what to do and where to go if you do get sick. There are also certain foods that can cause health problems here, this is the section to go to stay healthy here.
- Immigration Laws – These laws are constantly changing. It is important to know what is required even for short term stays as little as two months.
- Things to Avoid – We list things you will want to stay clear of are in this section, hurricane reports, health and food related problems and occasionally businesses whose practices warrant a warning.
- Resort Deals – Due to popular demand we also list some of the best resort deals we have found. Many of these will be for the Lifestyles Resorts in Puerto Plata. The Lifestyles Tropical and Colfresi Resorts often have some of the best all inclusive deals in the country.
- Most Popular Dominican Republic Subjects – If you haven’t found what you are looking for yet, than this page lists the most popular subjects discussed.
- Follow us on Goolge+ Google+
Over the years we have used many of the local businesses and have several that we can recommend. Here are some that you might want to try.
Whether you are vacationing or planning to stay do your research to ensure you get the most out of your trip and Enjoy your stay in the Dominican Republic!